Seigado Golden Brown Coaster
The ground color of the copper is accented with small flowers.
1. A single copper sheet is hammered into shape and then cleaned to remove any oil or other contaminants.
2. Soaked in a sulfurizing solution to form an artificial rust coating.
3. Next, the black rust is polished off from the entire surface of the sake cup, taking into consideration the design and coloring of each piece. The black color is left only on the hammered surface to accentuate the shading.
4. Finally, the piece is soaked in boiling color solution made by traditional technique to develop a golden-brown color.
The color is brighter than that of ordinary sulfurized brown copper. As it is carefully used, it becomes more austere and atmospheric, and its color develops into a deeper hue.
- Quantity: 1 piece
- Dimension: D8.9cm(3.5in)×H1cm(0.4in)
- Material: Copper
- Origin: Made in Japan
- Brand: Seigado
Tag @musubikiln for a chance to be featured
Seigado has a workshop at the foot of Mt. Yahiko in Niigata Prefecture, where high quality copper was discovered about 300 years ago and "Tsuiki'', the technique of hammering copperware has developed since then. "Tsuiki'' is a metalworking technique that is derived from the words 'hammer' and 'raise', so this process literally means hammering and embossing copperware products. The traces of the hammering, the process of making are left as beautiful patterns on the products. There's a saying in Japan that things improve with good use, and Seigado's products have a charm that naturally makes us want to take good care of them.View more SEIGADO items
In Japan, gold, silver, copper, tin, and iron are called "Gokin (five metals)" and have been used as materials for metalworking since ancient times. Each metal has a different luster, workability, strength, thermal conductivity, heat retention, moisture resistance, corrosion resistance, etc., and techniques to utilize these characteristics have developed in various regions.From daily necessities such as pots, kettles, and accessories to works of art that represent the times such as tea ceremony utensils, Japanese swords, and Buddhist bells, a wide variety of metalwork has been produced in each era.View more Metal items
Lovely little coasters!
I purchased two of the Seigado Golden Brown Coasters and they are so beautiful. They arrived quickly and wrapped with care. Very happy to have them displayed on my coffee table as well.